The Aged Care Essentials

Aged Care Essentials

When considering aged care placement, there are a number of essential steps you need to take. For your convenience, we have listed a number of general aged care questions that people need information on. The following sections have been provided in a general sense to give you an overview of some of the aged care information you may need.

If there is a section that interests you, simply click on the question to reveal the relevant information. Should you require more information about any of these sections, please don’t hesitate to contact New Auckland Place.

  • Q: What is an ACAT Assessment? How do I get one?

    If you are considering moving into an aged care home, you may first need a free assessment with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). An ACAT will talk to you about your current situation and work out if you are eligible to receive government-subsidised aged care services.

    If you can receive aged care services, an ACAT assessment will help you access the right services for your needs and the level of care you require.

    The assessment can help identify the type of care services you will require in an aged care home. Remember, your wishes are always listened to and considered, and you will never be forced to make any decisions about your future during your assessment.

    The assessment is an opportunity to identify options and you can make a decision once you have received the outcome of your assessment. You are also welcome to have someone else – perhaps a friend, family member or your carer – attend your assessment with you for extra support.

    Do you live in Central QLD and need to arrange an ACAT assessment?
    Please contact the Aged Care Assessment Team in Central Queensland.

    Please Note. If you are a Gladstone resident, you will need to contact the Rockhampton ACAT team to arrange an assessment

  • Q: What is an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA)?

    If you need help managing your affairs, you may choose to give someone you know and trust, or a specialist organisation (such as the Public Trustee and Guardian in QLD) the power to make decisions on your behalf. These powers will allow the person to manage your affairs when you prefer not to do so personally, or are no longer able to. For example, a person may find it hard to sign documents due to loss of vision or unsteady hands.

    Depending on your own personal situation, this may include the power to make decisions about your financial and legal affairs, decisions about your lifestyle (including where you live) and what medical or health treatment you should receive.

    The rules in each state and territory are different so please contact the relevant authority where you live, or your legal advisor, for details on powers of attorney, enduring powers of attorney and enduring guardians. A contact list for each state and territory authority can be found below.

    Do you require further information about the EPOA process?
    Please refer to the Queensland Government EPOA Information Portal.

  • Q: I’m a carer and need support. Can anyone help me?

    Yes! There is a service in the CQ region that can help you. The organisation, Suncare, is a great place to start. Suncare provide care, support, information and referral services to members of the community including:

    • Carers of a person who is frail aged and
    • Frail aged persons who live independently and care for themselves, need some assistance and they have a neighbour, friend or family member who checks in on them
    • People of all ages with a disability and their carers
    • Individuals and their carers requiring nursing or allied health support following release from hospital
    • Individuals and carers who are in need of mental health support and education

    Are you a carer living in Gladstone or Rockhampton and need support?
    Please refer to the Suncare website.

  • Q: Do you need someone to make accommodation and health related decisions on your behalf because you are unable to?

    The Office of the Adult Guardian is an independent body, working to protect the rights and interests of adults who have an impaired capacity to make their own decisions.

    People with impaired capacity are amongst the most vulnerable members of our society. The Adult Guardian safeguards their welfare by investigating allegations of neglect, exploitation and abuse. The Adult Guardian system plays an important role in human rights protection in Queensland. Guardianship gives someone the legal authority to make decisions for another person who does not have the capacity to do so.

    Do you live in Central Qld and need someone to make these types of decisions on your behalf?
    Please refer to the Adult Guardian website.

  • Q: Do you need someone to make financial decisions on your behalf because you are unable to?

    Sometimes in life, an adult needs assistance with managing their financial affairs. This may be due to an intellectual disability, psychiatric illness, or an acquired brain injury of an age related illness. Without support, the adult’s needs may not be met or they may be vulnerable to exploitation. For example, the adult may not budget effectively to meet their needs, adequately insure their car or home or apply for their full Government pension benefits. The Public Trustee can assist by acting as Administrator or Financial Attorney.

    Public Trustee can provide economical and accessible investment, legal and associated services and act as an independent and impartial Administrator, attorney and trustee for the people of Queensland.

    Do you live in Central Qld and need someone to make financial decisions on your behalf?
    Please refer to the Queensland Public Trustee Website.

  • Q: I want know more about dementia. In terms of aged care placement, what does it mean for me and my loved one?

    Dementia affects people in different ways and each person will find their own approach to managing changes associated with dementia. You may have received a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease or another form of dementia and you may have many questions about what it means, what to do next and who can help.

    Alzheimer’s Australia provides practical information and support to family members and carers of people living with dementia. The Alzheimer’s Australia website suggests ways that may assist families and carers in managing some of the day to day issues when caring for someone with dementia. Areas include: coping with changing behaviours, preparing your home, personal care, residential care and taking care of yourself.

    New Auckland Place’s secure dementia wing (Awoonga) provides a secure, safe environment for 15 dementia residents. Our lifestyles team have designed specific programs to assist residents with challenging behaviours. If you would like more information about New Auckland place’s secure dementia wing or lifestyles programs, please don’t hesitate to contact our facility.

    Are you living with dementia or caring for someone with dementia?
    Please refer to the Alzheimer’s Australia Website. There you can find more information about dementia and what it means when considering aged care placement.

  • Q: Is there a service in Gladstone or surrounding areas that provides support for people with mental health issues?

    Older person’s mental health is a support service for those living with a mental health issue. The service also provides additional support for families and carers.

    If you have or are caring for someone with a mental health issue, the Gladstone Mental Health Team can provide you and your family with the support you need.